Thursday, June 19, 2008

Inheritance

And I am not talking the monetary kind! I am talking about our (ok MY GENE POOL). Let me tell you all a (funny) story!

I had to go see the dermatologist today per my surgeon because my hair has been falling out (and I mean falling out) by leaps and bounds for about a year now (hence the reason why I cut my hair so short this last time and next time it will probably go even shorter).

Anyway.....come to find out that yes I have inherited this unsightly dilemma from no other than my mother's side of the family, thanks, mom ;)! SIGH!!!

So not only is my hair loss possibly (and I say possibly because I am still waiting on blood tests to see if my hormones are out of wack or my thyroid is not functioning properly) from my genes but I also have many other things wrong with me because of my genes. Case in point.....

Do you know why I got breast cancer (besides the fact that it runs in my MOTHER'S side of the family, love you mom) but also because I carry both BRCA 1 AND BRCA 2 breast cancer genes, from non other than my mother's side of the family! (again I love you mom!!)

Then I come to find out today that my hair loss (and let me tell you my hair is very thin as of late) is also heriditary from my mom's side of the family!

But it doesn't end there.......my WONDERFUL dad has also contributed something to me also! His lovely BAD BACK!!!!!

To make a long story and potentially fatal story short...........

I still love my parents will all my heart and woulnd't trade them for the world even if it meant a better gene pool running thru my body.........

I will just have to accept my fate and run with it! Thinning hair and the dreaded breast cancer genes in all!!!!!!!

Hey on a brighter side of it....I have been bald once, and I lived and I could do it again! Besides......

HAIR IS SO OVERRATED ANYWAY........


NOTE: mom and dad don't take this post personally, I still love you bad genes and all!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinning hair comes from you dad's side too! Just ask A. Janet and me. The thyroid thing is from your Dad's side too, all your aunts, plus me and my sister all have thyroid issues and take medication. Bummer. One thing that has helped my hair is Cod Liver Oil. The best you can afford, email me for links to some sites, but my hair is much thicker now after using it than before even with thyroid replacement. Hair might be overrated but who wants to clean the shower out every day??!

Anonymous said...

Alright Cathi, Hair is overrated and the "gene pool" is something we have our maker to thank for, remember HE created us and made the "genes" that WE ALL have, so I take NO RESPOSIBILITY for your genes........ :-)
WE DO LOVE YOU BAD GENES AND ALL!!!
:-)

Dad & Mom