Thursday, November 20, 2008

Trust!

I am home this afternoon with Mikayla! She is not feeling good today and Jason took her in to see our wonderful family doctor, Mark Rector! White count tests came back as normal but said that she is more than likely fighting something viral. Rest and meds for her horrible headaches and we can access her in the morning and see if she is up for going to school! We are trying to keep sickness at bay until after next Friday. Jason's sister gets married the day after Thanksgiving and the last thing we want is for our family to end up sick. Jason and the children are all in the wedding and I am playing the piano. So we need to stay well until that is done with, then we can all get sick and get it out of our systems before Christmas. I am sure you are all wondering what this all has to do with the title of my post. Well many things....

I have been praying, reading, searching and seeking for direction from the Lord in the area of my children and their education. I have been reading anything and everything that I can get from the library about homeschooling. We (Jason and I both) have talked about it, crunched numbers and talked with a friend from church who was a school teacher in Milbank for 34 years. He was very encouraging and offered prayers for us. So right now I am asking all of you who read my blog to pray for our family during this time. My oldest daughter sat down at the table the other night, looked me straight in the eye and said "I want to be homeschooled", Mikayla has also expressed her willingness to be homeschooled. Colby, well he doesn't really get it as he is still so young and Keara, well she really doesn't get it because she is only in school 2 days a week. There are many many underlying reasons for why I am considering this. What I feel is #1 in my book is the fact that my children (Mikayla and Briana most) are getting lost in the system. They are slipping thru the cracks of the public school realm. They are being pushed forward onto new concepts when they haven't mastered the concept before (especially for Mikayla in math and Briana in math also, although she is doing much better in math at the present moment Briana's struggle right now is language arts (English)). I see more than a mother should ever see or hear within the walls of the school, stuff that you would be enraged if you knew. There is lack of morals in our school district. The mouths on these students (especially in middle/high school) is appalling. There are bullies in the school, on the bus, which our son has been subjected to since school started. This has gotten better but there are still days when he is harrassed but a child older than him. I DO NOT put my children on the school bus in the mornings to have them harrassed, their bookbag ripped or being held down on the floor of the bus. His older sisters haven't been much helped until this all came to a head and mom and dad found out about it. Briana has finally stepped into the big protective sister role (sometimes).
With all of that said, light has been shed on us that we really do want more for our children. We want them to have a stable, non-threatning learning enviornment. The only way that can happen is to pull them and keep them home. With my contract already signed for the school year, this can't and won't happen until next Fall at the earliest. I still need to pray about this and continue to seek God's will for our lives. The numbers are not falling into place that make it possible for me to quit my job. I know and truly believe that God will provide for our financial needs, BUT do I trust God enough?????
My answer to that question is: Obviously not!
I believe He has made His answer for us very clear, but I still argue with Him about the little things. All I continue to hear is TRUST ME!
I am not looking for acceptance in this quest because there is none needed. I only do what the Good Lord tells me to do and its Him that I seek acceptance from. There will be some negative comments from well meaning family and friends and that is okay, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinions. I don't know if this is the final answer only God knows. I will place it all in His hands. I will give it up to Him. This was in my Inbox when I got home this afternoon from the clinic with Mikayla from a wonderful Christian women, one I am glad to call FRIEND!! And it is a wonderful reminder for me and what I am seeking in my life right now.

This is a wonderful reminder....
To: YOU
Date: TODAY
From: GOD
Subject: YOURSELF
Reference: LIFE

This is God. Today I will be handling all of your problems for you. I do not need your help. So, have a nice day. I love you.
P.S. And, remember... If life happens to deliver a situation to you that you cannot handle, do not attempt to resolve it yourself! Kindly put it in the SFGTD (something for God to do) box. I will get to it in MY TIME. All situations will be resolved, but in my time, not yours. Once the matter is placed into the box, do not hold onto it by worrying about it. Instead, focus on all the wonderful things that are present in your life now. Should you decide to send this to a friend; thank you. You may have touched their life in ways you will never know!
Now, you have a nice day.
God

So as I end this post today, please remember that we are all seeing a purpose in our lives and that purpose is to fulfill God's commands, live out the Great Commission and to live our lives fully and completley for Him. It is thru these times in my life that God will win and receive all the Glory for the things that He accomplishes in my life.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13

Yes even homeschooling my 4 children!!!!

1 comment:

Jolene said...

I am so proud of how far you and Jason have come with this decision. You are trusting God and each other. Believe in yourself - you can do this. We love your family and will support your decision.